- Origin: English/Scottish
- Earliest Date Known: 1831
- Arrived in America: bef 1817
John BAXTER b.? d.? m. SARAH (MNUnkn) b.?d.?
John and Sarah Baxter were described as being of English and Scottish descent. At some time in the past the couple migrated to America and were living in Knox County, Ohio when their son Samuel was born.
- Samuel Baxter
- Other children Unknown.
Samuel BAXTER b.? d.1831 m. Keziah GREMEAN b.? d. 1853
Samuel and Keziah were living in Ross County, Ohio when their oldest child James was born. They then moved their family, which eventually totaled either nine or eleven children to Amanda Township, Allen County, Ohio in 1827 or 1828. They settled on the banks of the Auglaize River where Samuel pioneered a farm. Samuel died about four years after arriving in Allen County.
- James b. 1817 Ross Co.,OH
- Other children Unknown. Nine to Eleven more in Ohio.
James BAXTER b. 9 Sept 1817 Ross Co.,OH d.? married on 20 APR 1837 (this date is later given as 20 FEB 1837) to Melissa JOHN b.10 Jan 1820 d.? d/o Griffith JOHN and Rachel MILLER.
1850 US Census: Ohio: Allen Co.,District 6, Amanda Township: 17 Sep 1850. Enumer: John Keller
Dwelling:1665 Family: 1665James BAXTER born in Ross County, OH. James took over the responsibility of running the family farm after his father died. At eighteen years of age he started out for himself engaging in daily labor.
- James age 33 (b.1817) Farmer. Assets: 800.00
- Malissa age 28 (b.1822) Wife
- Mary age 18 (b.1832)
- Samuel age 11 (b.1839) Son
- Griffith age 9 (b.1841) Son
- Rachel age 6 (b.1844) Daug.
- Keziah age 5 (b.1845) Daug.
- David age 3 (b.1847)
- Melissa JOHN was born in Ross County, OH, the daughter of Griffith JOHN and Rachel MILLER.
- Rachel Miller John [13 SEP 1802 - 23 JUN 1862] was the daughter of George MILLER and SARAH(MNUnkn).
- Griffith JOHN [06 SEP 1795 - 20 FEB 1856] was the son of Abia and Martha JOHN.
Griffith John BAXTER b. 6 Mar 1841 in Allen Co.,OH d. 15 Jun 1922 Hartford, Coffey Co.,KS married 25 Dec 1866 in Allen Co., OH to Mary Agnes METZLER b. 30 Mar 1849 in York Co.,PA. d. 5 Nov 1930 in Hartford, Coffey Co.,KS.
- Charles W. b. 3 Oct 1867 Allen Co.,OH. d.? m. Clara(Maiden Name Unkn.)
- Viola Belle 'Ola' b. 22 Apr 1869 in Allen Co.OH d. 18 Apr 1943 in Strawn, Coffey Co.KS m. 21 Feb 1892 to Asa Alvin MEEK, daug. of J.W. MEEK and Susan SMITH.
- Peter Delbert b. 26 Apr 1871 Allen Co.OH d. 27 Sept 1938 in Burlington, Coffey Co.KS unmarried. Twin to James E.
- James E. b. 26 Apr 1871 Allen Co.OH d. 27 Apr 1935 Hartford, Coffey Co.KS unmarried. Twin to Peter Delbert.
- William Orsen b. 13 Mar 1873 Allen Co.OH d. 6 Jun 1936 in CA. unmarried.
- Bertha M. b. 6 Jun 1875 Allen Co.OH d. 29 Jun 1945 m. 12 Nov 1893 in Strawn, Coffey Co.KS to Arthur NEWKIRK, son of 'Frank' M. NEWKIRK and Lillie A. WINGARD.
- Jesse Jerome b. 8 Jun 1881 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS d. 10 Apr 1945 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS m. 26 Feb 1905 in Strawn, Coffey Co.KS to Carrie HAMLIN, daug. of William HAMLIN and Eleanor COCHRAN.Twin to Sadie Jane.
- Sadie Jane b. 8 Jun 1881 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS d. 14 Dec 1962 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Co.OK. m. in Strawn, Coffey Co.KS to Clyde Lewis SHAUBELL. son of Francis Marion SHAUBELL and Martha Alice MANLEY.Sadie is a Twin to Jesse Jerome.
- Clarence Cloyd b. 24 Jan 1884 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS d. 26 Oct 1962 in Strawn, Coffey Co.KS m. 7 Apr 1909 in Strawn, Coffey Co.KS to Nellie KIMBALL, daug. of Charles KIMBALL and Margaret LANE. Twin to Rowena.
- Rowena Maudie b. 24 Jan 1884 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS d. 20 Apr 1884 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS.
- Harley Benton b. 20 Apr 1887 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS d. 25 Oct 1924 Strawn, Coffey Co.KS unmarried.
Mary Agnes METZLER daug. of: Peter S. METZLER and Sarah WERTZ.
- Granddaug. of Jacob METZLER and Elizabeth STOMBAUGH ~ Daniel WERTZ and Sarah (Maiden Name Unkn.)
Mr. Baxter held the office of township trustee for 16 years and was county infirmary director for 6 years 'arriving at these positions of honor by energy and close application to business'. The family are members of the Christian church in which James was an elder. He took an active interest in the improvement of stock and farm products and the advancement of education.
Griffith John Baxter moved from Lima, Ohio and settled near the town of Strawn, Coffey Co.Ks in 1879. Both are buried in Strawn Cemetery, Strawn, Coffey Co.,KS.
**Submitted 4 Mar 1985 by Griffith H. Baxter, Tulsa,OK for the Biographical Records of Inhabitants of Coffey County Kansas. Coffey County Historical and Genealogical Society, Burlington, KS.
Baxter Family Member Contact: Greg Bastian a descendant of James' brother, Smith Baxter.