|Life in Early 18th Century Pennsylvania
by John T. Humphrey
Chester, Lancaster, Mifflin, Juniata
|1740 WEAVER Lancaster Archive Info
| 1747 GINGERICH Lancaster, Mifflin, Juniata, Dauphin, Perry, Snyder, Union Archive Info
|1807 SHAWBELL Lancaster,Mifflin,Juniata Archive Info
Juniata County was created from Mifflin Co. in 1831.
Townships of Juniata County,PA:
Beale, Delaware, Greenwood, Fayette, Fermanagh, Lack, Milford, Monroe, Spruce
Hill, Susquanaha,Turbett, Tuscarora and Walker.
Covered Bridge at Mexico
Walker Township, Juniatia Co.,PA
Mexico, Walker Township, Juniata County, Pennsylvania
Mexico, Walker Township, Juniata Co. occupies a prominent place in
the early history of Juniata County as the scene of some of the earliest
settlements in the county and also as the site of Patterson's Fort, one of
a chain of forts erected along the western frontier settlements. Located
on the north side of a dogleg bend of the Juniata River. It is also the site
of the very first land grant in the county, after the opening of the first
land office on 3 Feb 1755, obtained by Captain James Patterson, who
with his sons, figured so prominently in shaping the destinies of the settlement.
Source: History of The Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys, Counties
of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union, and Snyder,Volume One , pages 861-
863, Everts, Peck & Richards Publishers, 1886, Philadelphia-Lancaster
County Library, Lancaster, PA-
- 1770: A road was laid out from the Lost Creek Settlement, past the Cedar Spring, to James Patterson's Mill.
- 1808: The Juniata Stage Company began running.
- 1810: Tobias Kreider established a ferry, which he continued until
- 1812: The Town of Mexico was laid out on the Crow family lands on the west side of D.O.Run. Main Street was on the west side of the present turnpike (1886), and was the one on which the first buildings were erected. The laying out of the turnpike in 1818 changed the village somewhat. Tobias Kreider began the sale of lots 22 Dec 1812. Francis Jordan sunk a tan yard and continued until 1856.
- 1813: A road was laid out from James Thompson's mill to the Goshen Road.
- 1814: James Thompson opened a store that continued for many years. Hugh Knox, blacksmith opened a shop and continued to 1830.
- 1818: Evan Evans started a fulling-mill and continued past 1831.(*Fulling Mill processes wool). The turnpike was built through and completed in 1822.
- 1819: A Stone Bridge was built over the D.O.Run, which was later washed away.(between 1819-1886)
- 1820: John Swain Blair opened the tavern known as the Old Tavern Stand.
- 1821: The Post Office as established and James Thompson was the first postmaster and continued until his death. He was succeeded by Charles Thompson, Jacob Frankhouser, William
Gingrich, Jacob Richenbaugh,Sr.,and William Hetrich, which is the last incumbent (1886).
Shawbell, a Blacksmith and
Weaver with children arrived in Walker Township from Lancaster Co.
Payments by JUNIATA COUNTY COMMISSIONERS 1831-1842
SHAWBELL, JNO. Grand Juror Dec 1836 Term Dec 13 1836 $2.31
SHAWBELL, JOHN Grand Juror May 1837 Term May 2 1837 $2.31
SHAWBELL, JOHN Grand Juror Feb 1838 Term Feb 1838 $1.31
SHAWBELL, JOHN Petition Juror May 1839 Term May 1839 $6.37
Taxes: Milford,Fermanagh,Walker Townships: Juniata Co.PA
SHAWBELL, JOHN SR. WALKER 1842 FARMER
SHAWBELL, JOHN SR. WALKER 1842 BLACKSMITH
SHAWBELL, DANIEL WALKER 1842 LABORER
SHAWBELL, JOHN SR. WALKER 1845 LANDOWNER
SHAWBELL, JOHN JR. WALKER 1845 TENANT BLACKSMITH (John G.Shawbell, Jr. m.
Maria Ann Evans Oct 1842)
SHAWBELL, DANIEL MILFORD 1845 TENANT BLACKSMITH
SHAWBELL, JOHN - HEIRS WALKER 1846 LANDOWNER (John Sr. d. Jul 1845)
SHAWBELL, JOHN JR. WALKER 1846 TENANT
SHAUBELL, DANIEL MILFORD 1847 TENANT WAGONMAKER
SHAWBELL, DAVID MILFORD 1850 TENANT LABORER (Not sure who David is..family
records no Son named David)
SHAWBELL, JAMES FERMANAGH 1850 TENANT BLACKSMITH (James changed his
name from Jaocb. Records are James d. May 1845 age 19)
Source: Juniata County Historical Society - Mifflintown, PA
|McAlisterville, Fayette Township, Juniata County, Pennsylvania
McAlisterville was named in honor of Hugh AcAlister,Sr. at whose instance
it was surveyed and laid out in 1810. The present site of McAlisterville
is located on land originally taken up on two warrants.
The warrant on the east was taken out by William Giltnockey on 3 Feb 1755,
and was for a large tract of land which later passed to Hugh Watts, who sold
to Peter Springer, by whom it was patented 20 May 1812.
The tract of land on which McAlisterville was originally laid out was warranted
by William Armstrong, 3 Feb 1755, same date as the ajoining tract of
Miltnockey's. Armstrong retained this tract until 8 Jan 1779, when he sold
to Joseph Bogle, who on 19 Feb 1779, sold it to William Stewart. The latter
erected a log house on it and lived there until 1791. Hugh McAlister came
into possession of the tract, containing 126 acres on 31 Mar 1792.
Evans b.25 Dec 1820 (twin to Maria Ann) married Feb 1840
Strayer and removed to McAlisterville, Fayette Twp,Juniata Co. They
had 9 children and were living there in 1895.
A History of the Juniata Valley,Vols.I,II,III. National Historical Association,
Inc. Publishers 1936
History of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys. Counties of
Mifflin,Juniata,Perry,Union and Snyder, Vols.I & II. Everts, Peck &
Richards Publishers 1886.
to Claudes Genealogy Page