Shawbell ~ Martz - Smith ~ Rice
Shopbell ~ Schappell ~ Chappelle
Shopbell Genealogy : Russell Shopbell
Chappelle / Schappel : France
Thomas Genealogy: Richard Davis Thomas, Jr.
Shawbell ~ Berry ~ Fankhauser ~ Welty
Michael Tim Fankhauser Welty & Julie Colleen Schroeder
Other Spellings & Information
There are several variations of the Shawbell Surname in Europe and America. One particular spelling of the surname Chappelle is found about 1699 in Germany by genealogical researcher Herr Friedrich Wollmershauser. His information I present below states that the spelling is of French origin. The spelling variation could have changed over years to Schappell / Shobbell / Shopbell / Shaubell by the family living in Germany 50 to 80 years and to the present day. There is a village named La Chappelle in the providence of Doub, which borders Haut Rhin, and is close to the Swiss /German border, but I am more recently inclined to believe that another village named La Chappelle in Haut Alps as the former home of the Chappelle family before escaping with Waldenser leader Henri Arnaud from France to Germany and settling in the area of Durrmez and Schmie, Kingdom of Wurttemburg.
The Waldenser's in France
The Chapelle Surname is found among surnames of Waldenser's. A religious group founded by a wealthy merchant in Lyons, France by the name of Valdes in 1170.
Chappell Family Journey from France to Germany
Marc Chapelle and Antonine Simon
The Home of Henri Arnaud in Schönenberg, now the Waldenser Museum
From: Rich Thomas Genealogy
Re: Friedrich Wollmershauser, member of the genealogical and Heraldic Society of Wurttemberg and Baden, Inc. of Southwest Germany. Dated Nov. 27, 1977.
The name was originally Chapelle, and the families belonged to the group of the Waldenser, which was a religious sect founded in 1176 by a rich merchant of Lyon with the name of Walds (sic). The members of this sect were oppressed by the catholic church since 1184 and lived in the underground. In 1699, many members of this group have been driven out of France and came to Wurttemberg, where they had their own church until 1820. Some of them emigrated to America in the 1700s and 1800s. I have found the churchbook-entries for the Chapelle family as follows:
Charles Solomon CHAPELLE and Madeleine SIMON had the following children:
- Jeremie b. 25 Nov 1725 Arrived America on Ship 'Patience' 9 Sep 1751. Berks Co. PA
- Eberhard b.10 Mar 1727 Died in Infancy in Durrmenz,Wurttemburg, Germany
- Eberhart b. 22 Aug 1732 Arrived America on Ship 'Patience' 17 Sep 1753. Berks Co. PA
Re: Friedrich Wollmershauser, member of the genealogical and Heraldic Society of Wurttemberg and Baden, Inc. of Southwest Germany. Dated March 9,1979.
Paragraph Three: Marc Chapelle arrived in Durrmenz in 1699 with his wife and one child. In. 1702 he is mentioned in a list of Waldenser in Durrmenz, aged 32 with his wife Anthoinette, aged abt 30 and a daughter Marie aged 2. (Source: Haptstaatsarchiv Stuttgart A240 Buschel 46f.,189f.) In 1712 he was living in Schmie with his wife and four daughters and one son. In 1708 and 1719 he is also mentioned to have lived in Schmie
Note: Notice Herr Wollmershauser then calls Marc Chapelle's wife Madeleine, which is her name on the baptisimal records of their children.(Baptismal Records of the Waldenser Church Durrmenz)
I believe family of Charles Salomon Chapelle's wife Madeleine Simon probably came from Arvieux en Queiras (Dep. Hautes-Alps, France) where several Simon families emigrated from.
We are exploring the possible connection of the Shawbell surname to this family because of the similarity of past location in France and Germany and 18th century America, and some of the family given names, and religious affiliations, and The Record of Clementine Shawbell complied from an interview with her father, John G. Shawbell in 1895 who states his Grandfather, Soloman was born in France. Also, please refer to Russell Shopbell's lineage of the Chappelle / Schappell / Shopell family of Windor Castle, now Perry Township, Berks Co. PA.
Jacob Shopbell House
Re: Russ Shopbell:
My great grandfather moved here, where I now live in Ohio, in the year 1832. His grave is about 7 miles from my home. Above photo: The house Jacob built when they came to Ohio in 1832. I took the picture in 1977, the house is all gone now.
Berks Co., Windsor, PA: These stone carvings are now in a stone wall around a cemetery, they once were in a church wall. I was to this cemetery last August. The top name Eberhardis my ggg grandfather, the bottom right is his brother's, even then they didn't spell their name the same way.
Note: See the carving images and it will be clear why Russ and I have explored the association of our surnames.
Huguenots in Pennsylvania
ciiisiii note: I am adding this for researcher's whose ancestor's were perhaps Huguenots who fled France. Our Seney ancestor's were follower's of the Huguenot and they fled to England in 1710. Huguenot and Waldenser were two distinctly different groups of followers.
Pennsylvania is a state where it is difficult to discover those who have a Huguenot ancestry because many who fled from France before and after the Revocation went to Germany where they germanized their names and emigrated to Pennsylvania along with Germans considering themselves to be Germans. Furthermore, as Pennsylvania had a large number of settlers who were German, the French emigres often changed their names to have a German form. Besides, they intermarried with the Germans and soon lost their French identity.
Source: The Trail of the Huguenots in Europe, the United States,South Africa, West Indies, and Canadaby G. Elmore Reaman, Baltitmore Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc. 1986.
France: Chappelle ~ Chapelle | Germany: Shappell ~ Schaupel ~ Shaubel | America: Shaubel ~ Shaubell ~ Shawbell
- Origin: France to Switzerland to Germany to America: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kansas, Indian Territory (OK),
- Religion: Waldenser (Germany) ~ Reformed Lutheran (America)
- Earliest Ancestral Date Known: 1781 birthdate of John Shaubel
- Arrived in America: 3 Dec 1807 on William P. Johnson Port of Philadelphia arrival of John Shaubel and brother George Shaubel
The earliest written records of our Shaubell/Shawbell family lineage:
- A Family Bible beginning with John Shawbell b. 1781 d. 1845 Juniata Co.,PA and Elizabeth Weaver b. 1792 d. 1844 Juniata Co.PA . It is said that this Bible was brought to Kansas by John's son, John G. Shawbell b. 1820 when they moved to Kansas in 1855 from Pennsylvania.
- A handwritten, four page ( 5 x 8 inches paper) record by John G.'s daugher, Clementine b. 1862 which only named John's Father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather. Clementine was our first family member interested in our genealogical roots recording of the early family origins, interviewing her father, John G.Shawbell (b. 1820 d.1903).
Handwritten Record by Clementine S. Shawbell-Delbridge, Feb 1895, Pasadena, CA:
First Shawbell Family Genealogist
Father's great-grandfather came from France, his name was Solomon. His grandfather came from Germany to Pennsa., his name was John. *Father's father was born in Pennsa. and his name was John. He had six children named, Daniel, Margaret, John, Catherine, Jacob, and Mary. All which are dead but Catherine, Margaret and John (my father).
*Clementine's Mystery* Was John G. Shawbell's father really born in PA or Germany?
Father's father was born in Pennsa. and his name was John.'
Note: Ever since Russ Shopbell and I exchanged family info I began to search for John, possible Father to John Shobbell b. 1781 PA. My research has found several John's in Russ Shopbell's early lineage (but no details on them) associated with the decendents of the Schappel brothers who arrived in America: Jeremie in 1751 and Eberhard in 1753. Re: Russ Shopbell: Stones carved in 1774 on the wall of a cemetery (once on a church wall) is written different spellings of the brothers name: Eberhard Schappell and Jermias Schabell.
Roots:Pennsylvania 1807 ~ 1855 : Lancaster ~ Juniata Counties
1815: Lancaster Co. PA ~ 1835-1845: Juniata Co.PA
The earliest record of John Shawbell:
- 1819: John Shanbell (sic). Lancaster Co. PA: Early Blacksmith's of Lancaster County.
- 1836-37-38-39: John Shawbell (sic). Juniata Co. PA: Served on Grand Jury in Walker Township, Juniata Co.PA.
- Members of the First Reformed Lutheran Church.
John Shobbell (as spelled on Gravestones). d.1845 (sic),Elizabeth Shobbell d. 1844, Jacob(James) Shobbell d. 1845 buried in Messiah Lutheran Church graveyard.
- Admisinstrator of the Estate of John Shobbell (sic) decsd. 1845: Daniel Shobbell.
- Guardian in Estate of Mary Shawbell-Wise 1850: Soloman Martz (husband to Margaret Shawbell)
1830 US Census:Pensylvania, Lancaster Co, Lancaster City, PA
- John Shauble : Listed Headhousehold
- One Male 10/15 (John G. or Daniel?)
- One Male 40/50 (John)
- One Female 5/10 (Catherine)
- One Female 10/15 (Margaret)
- One Female 30/40 (Elizabeth wife of John)
- Where is Daniel b. 1815, Jacob b. 1826, and Mary b.1828?
(Wrong family? Only family listed in census as residing in Lancaster City.)
1840 US Census:Pennsylvania, Juniata Co., Fermanagh Township, Borough of Mifflintown. Enuner: James Schrach
Listed Family Head: John Shopbell (sic)Not in Household: John G. b.1820, Margaret b.1817, Daniel b. 1815. John married: 1842. Margaret married: 1841. Daniel moved to Ohio before 1840.
- One Male 10/15 (Jacob/James)
- One Male 50/60 (John)
- One Female 10/15 (Mary)
- One Female 20/30 (Catherine)
- One Female 50/60 (Elizabeth, wife of John)
John SHAUBELL b. 31 Jan 1781 d. 9 Jul 1845 Juniata Co. PA. m.Elizabeth WEAVER b. 12 Aug 1792 Lancaster Co. d. 2 Feb 1844 Juniata Co. PA. m. 15 Apr 1815. John was a Blacksmith.
Children of John Shawbell and Elizabeth Weaver:
- Daniel b.1815 d. abt 1864 m. Elizabeth Mary 'Polly' RICE.(Direct: Ray Kohler)
- Margaret b.1817 d. abt 1902 m. Solomon MARTZ. (Direct: Judy Assony )
- John G b.1820 d.1903 m. Maria Anna EVANS b.1820 d.1900 (Direct: Claude Shawbell)
- Catherine b. abt 1824 d.aft 1895
- Jacob (he changed to James) b.1826 d. 1845.
- Mary b. abt 1828 d.abt 1850 m. Edmond WISE
29 Jun 1997 Juniata County Historical Society Researcher.Robert L. Winder, Mifflintown, Juniata Co.,PA.
At long last, we have located records for grave stones removed from the Messiah Lutheran Church cemetery, formerly in Mifflintown, now paved over into a parking lot. Found:
- John Shobbell, died 9 Jul 1845, aged 64y, 5m, 9d (31 Jan 1781)
- Elizabeth Shobbell, died 2 Feb 1844, aged 52y, 6m, 21d (b. 12 Aug 1792), consort of John Shobbell.
- Jacob Shobbell, son of J/E, died 31 May 1845, aged 19y, 5m, 10d (b. 21 Dec 1825).
These stones were, in 1978, stored either under the porch of the manse, or under the altar in the church. Can not vouch as to their present location. Now must see if there are some of the Martz folks with similar stones.
Note: Their gravestones are spelled as SHOBBELL, however Juniata County Records spell surname as SHAWBELL in Mifflin/Juniata Co.PA. Family records correspond with birth and death dates.
Daniel Shobbell b.15 Nov 1815 Colombia,Lancaster Co., PA d. 19 Aug 1864 m. Elizabeth Mary 'Polly' RICE b.19 Dec 1822 Turbett Twp.,Juniata Co.PA. d. 25 Dec 1855 Rome,Richland Co., OH. m. 1841-42 Juniata Co.PA. Daniel, like his father John, was a Blacksmith and Wagonmaker by trade.
Daniel Shobbell 1st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, Co. D
Children of Daniel Shobbell and Elizabeth Mary 'Polly' Rice:
- Elizabeth Catherine b.1843 d.1844
- Margaret Anne b. 20 Sept 1845 d.16 May 1902 m. William Rice HAINES 10 Feb 1846 1867. Married: 3 Jan 1867 Turbett Twnshp, Juniata Co. PA. Buried in Haines plot Old Church Hill Cemetery.
Children of Margaret A. and William Rice Haines:
- Franklin Morris b. 17 Oct 1867 d. 22 Nov 1878
- Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Catherine b.29 Mar 1869 d.6 Jun 1953 m.William M. McKinley
- John Register b.17 Aug 1871 d.11 Aug 1946 m.Ada Mary Falladine
- William Blair b.2 May 1874 d.25 Feb 1945 m.Henrietta Celeste Godman
- Charles Milton b.3 July 1876 d.23 Mar 1936
- David Homer b.3 July 1876 d.July 1905 m. Minnier (Haines)
- Anna Evelyn b.22 Jan 1881 d.5 Nov 1952 m.William David McKnight
- Olive Neiman b.15 Jun1884 d.1 May 1966 m.Samuel Ira Kurtz
- Edith Margaretha b.13 Aug 1886 d.13 Apr 1962 m.William Henry Ard
- Louvina Jane b.1848 d. 1851
- Dorothy Corrillia b.1850 d.1850
- Sarah Josephine b.1851 d.1885 m. Isaac Milton Goshen (1875)
- Mary Everline b.1853 d.1854
Daniel was the administrator of his father's (John Shawbell d.1845) estate which finalized in 1850. After which Daniel and Elizabeth moved to Blooming Grove, Richland Co.,Ohio in 1850.(John G.,his brother and wife,Maria and daughter,Sarah left to settle in Indiana Co.,PA). Later they went to Rome, Richland Co.,OH where Elizabeth died in 1855. Seems that after Daniel enlisted in 1861 Margaret, the oldest, and her sister Sarah went back to Juniata Co.PA.as Margaret married William Rice Haines in Turbett Twp.Juniata Co.PA in 1867. Sarah married Isaac Milton Goshen who was born in Patterson, Juniata Co.,PA. She was living in Colorado Springs,El Paso Co,.CO in 1875. She died in Strong City, Chase Co., KS and is buried in Cottonwood Falls, Chase Co,.KS. John G. and family lived in ajoining Coffey Co,.KS at Ottumwa since 1857.
Margaret Shobbell (Shawbell) b.8 Dec 1817 in Lancaster Co.PA. d. aft 1898 Kansas City,MO. m. Soloman MARTZ b.13 Sep 1815 PA d.14 Sep 1862. Married by Rev ? Lilly on the 29 Sep 1840, Borough of Lewistown, Mifflin Co.,PA. m.2nd: Cornelius DEWEESE (no children) (Direct: Judi Assony)
Soloman Martz 12th Kansas Volunteer Infantry Co.F
Children of Margaret Shawbell and Solomon Martz:
- Mary Jane b.8 Nov 1843 Mifflintown,Fermanagh Twp,Juniata Co.,PA d.24 Jan 1912 Kinsley, Edwards Co.KS m.Henry Gilbert SMITH.(son of Gilbert Smith)
Children: Mary Jane Martz and Henry Gilbert Smith
- Alfred Enlow b.1860 d.1924 m.Claudia Merlin French (1888)
- Edwin LeRoy b.1862
- Oliver Lincoln b.1864
- Alta May b.1866
- Clara Alice b.1870
- Lillie b.1874
- Elizabeth b.1845 Mifflintown,Fermanagh Twp,Juniata Co.,PA d.? m. William E. HARRIS
- Celinda(Collinda) b.1847 Mifflintown,Fermanagh Twp,Juniata Co.,PA d. 15 Feb 1877 Ottumwa,Coffey Co., KS m.Thomas Sammers 5th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Co. G.
Children: Celinda Martz and Thomas Sammers
- Edward S.
- Clarissa b.1853 d. ? KS Mifflintown,Fermanagh Twp,Juniata Co.,PA m. Mr. SANFORD
The Solomon Martz family joined the John G. Shawbell family in the move to Kansas Territory in 1855. They all settled in Coffey Co.,KS in the new town of Ottumwa: Founded by John G. Shawbell, W.A.Bowen, Hamilton Smith, Gilbert Smith, and James Harris.
Roots:Pennsylvania 1807 ~ 1855 : Lancaster ~ Juniata Counties
Roots:Kansas Territory-Kansas, Coffey County
1855 ~ 1903
John G. SHAWBELL b. 6 May 1820 Columbia, Lancaster Co. PA d. 18 Dec 1903 Ottumwa,Coffey Co.KS. m.Maria Ann EVANS. b. 25 Dec 1820 Town of Mexico, Walker Township, Mifflin Co. PA d. 6 Jun 1900 Ottumwa, Coffey Co.KS. Married: 25 Oct 1842 in First Reformed Lutheran Church, Lewistown, Juniata Co.,PA. Like his father, John and brother, Daniel, John G. was a Blacksmith. Maria was a Hotel Operator / Cook.
John G. Shawbell, 9th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Co. C.
Children of John G. Shawbell and Maria Ann Evans:
- Eliza Jane b.19 Aug 1843 d.16 Sep 1848
- Catherine Elizabeth b. 21 Feb 1845 d. 29 Dec1846
- Sarah Maria b. 20 Sep 1848 d. abt 1931. m.1st Husb: William MINEHOUSEm. 2nd Husb: Madison F. STOUT. (no children: elderly)
William Minehouse 9th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Co. C.
Children: Sarah and William
- John H. b.1867 d.1868
- Caroline 'Carrie' b.1868 d.? m.Arthur Augustus McKinstry (1894)
- Lewis H. b.1871 d.1953
- Ralph Harrison b.1884 d.1914 m.Lela b.1884 d.1986
- Lewis Evans b. 17 Mar 1851 d. 29 May1915. m. Katherine Susan SENEY
- John Roy b.1891 d.1972 m. Ada Mae Krahl
- Claude Marion, Sr. b.1894 d.1930 m. Edna Mabel Covington
- Clem Lewis b.1895 d.1971 m. Arminta Joy Johnson
- Larua M. b.1897 d.1952 m.1st: John Worley 2nd:Charles Penney
- Evan Anna b.1901 d.1974 m. Harry Walter Delbridge (3rd cousins)
- Kathleen L. b.1902 d.1978 m. Jessie Alava Wilson
- Nettie Sarah b.1905 d.2001 m. Robert Wayne Caldwell
- Alice M. b.1910 d.1975 m.1st:Clyde Simmons m.2nd:Kenneth Lee Follick.
- Francis Marion b. 2 Jan 1853 d. 30 Mar 1940. m. Mary Alice MANLEY
- Clyde Lewis b.24 Sep 1879 KS d.18 Dec 1971 OK m.Sadie M. Baxter b.8 June 1881 KS d.14 Dec 1962OK. Married: 25 Dec 1904.
Children: Eula Elizabeth b.1913
Sadie's Parents: Griffith John Baxter and Mary Agnes Metzler. (OH/PA)
Sadie's Grandparents: James Baxter and Melissa John.(OH)
- Maye Ethel b.15 Nov 1884 KS d.24 Nov 1958 KS m.Lawrence Berry b.3 Dec 1879 KS d. 29 Jan 1964 KS. Married: 20 Jul 1902 OK.
Children: Ina Maye b. 1904 | Charles Larence b.1906 | Zylpha Arline b.1909
Lawernce's Parents: Rufus Berry, Jr. and Mary Olive Burk.
Lawernce's Grandparents: Rufus Berry, Sr. and Carolina (MaidenNKN).
- Frank b.1890 d.1904 ( died from Tomaine poisoning)
- Harry Delbridge b.24 May 1894 KS d.1952 m. Evelyn 'Goldie' Mansker b.1891 KS.
Goldie's Parents: Philemon Cage 'Doc' Mansaker and Amanda 'Kitty' Hamilton
Goldie's Grandparents: Josiah Mansker and Sarah A. Hickey
- John Claude b.1896 d.1950 m.Gladys Irene Dunfee b.1904 d.1991 (Irene 2nd. Husb. Lester L. Dickey m. 1940)
Betty Jane Shaubell b. 1924 (aka: Randy Stuart, Actress)
Gladys' Parents: James William Dunfee and Agnes Daisy Jane Kelly
Gladys' Grandparents: Maternal: William Baily Kelly and Susan Agnes Spears
- Anna W. b.10 Apr 1856 d.? m. Samuel BROWNING.
Samuel Browning 89th Regiment Ohio Infantry Company H
- Charles b.1877 d.? m.Lieta
- Harry b.1878
- Monte b.1882 d.?
- Pearl b.1883 d.1906
- Clementina b.1885 d.1968 m.Harley Davidson
- Grace b.1892 d.?
- Margaret M. b.20 Jun 1860 d.1863.
- Clementine Sarah b.20 Dec 1862 d. 18 Jul 1932, married: 1st Husb: 1879 - George S. ALLEN. (no children)
2nd Husb: Oct.1895 -Harry C. DELBRIDGE b. 26 Jul 1867 d.
- Elsie b.1897 d.? m.Robert Bell
- Harry D. 'Dee' Delbridge b.1901 d.1973 m.Eva Anna Shawbell b. 1900 d.1974 (3rd cousins).
Children: Adopted her sister, Alice Shaubell's daughter: Known as Eleanor Sue Delbridge b.1928
After the administration of John Shawbell's estate in 1850 John G.,Maria, and daughter Sarah went to Maryland, then Indiana Co. PA and Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvannia. While residing in Westmoreland Co. in 1855 they planned the trip West with John's sister Margaret and her husband Solomon MARTZ. Both couples and and their (then) three children each embarked on the river steamboat trip from Pittsburg to Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas in 1855. Their Kansas journey was perhaps aided by the Emigrant Aid Society, who financed many free state people from Pennsylvania to settle in Kansas. They all stayed in Ft. Leavenworth, operating a Hotel out of an old rented building until the spring of 1857 when they settled in Coffey Co.KS.
Maria's first cousin, John S. Gingerich , a circuit preacher in Pennsylvania also left for Lawrence, Kansas in 1855 with wife Elizabeth J. Wallis, and their (then)three children. He was called by the Elder, S. Snyder, who was killed in Quantrill's raid on Lawrence during the Civil War. John S. served as Chaplain for the 5th Inf.Indian Home Guard.After the war he and his family settled in Fulton, Callaway Co., MO.
From: Reminiscences of Coffey County, Portion of article by A.H.Fry, Coffey County Genealogical Library, Burlington, Kansas.John G. Shawbell family were among the first settler's of Coffey Co. KS Spring of 1856. John G.Shawbell, W.A.Bowen, Hamilton Smith, Gilbert Smith, and James Harris founded Ottumwa Township. John was a member of the GAR Veterans, and a past Officer of the organization. He was a member of the Free Masons, the first town Blacksmith, and Constable/Deputy Sheriff. The Shawbell's built the first Hotel in Ottumwa. A three story building at the north end of Leavenworth Street. Maria ran the Shawbell Hotel / House and was known all over the Neosho Valley for her cooking.
The Shawbell House was built completely out of black walnut, by William Minehouse, husband of Sarah Shawbell. It was destroyed by fire November 1941, and was believed to be the oldest structure in Coffey Co. at that time.
Kansas Civil War Veterans : Union Army
- John G. Shawbell, 1861: Enlisted with Lane's Brigade (organized by James H. Lane in 1861.) 28 Nov 1861 at Osawatomie, Miami Co., KS, and mustered into the regiment at Sandmans Springs, I.T.
On Muster Roll: 3rd Regiment Kansas Infantry, Co. 'K' 24 July 1861 to 31 Dec 1861. On Muster Roll: 3rd Regiment Kansas Infantry,Co. 'I' Jan to Feb 1862. Both of these Company's became the 9th Kansas Cavalry, Co. 'C'. March 1862 and remained as such till end of war. John was a Blacksmith,41 yrs. old, brown hair and blue eyes. John G. was discharged on 7 Dec 1864 at Little Rock, AR.
- John S. Gingerich, Chaplain, 3rd Reg. Indian Home Guards. Stationed at Ft.Gibson, I.T.
- William Minehouse, 9th Kansas Cavalry Volunteers, Co.'C'. Served with John G. Shawbell. Both at Honey Springs, I.T. battle and forced march.
- Solomon Martz, 12th Regiment Kansas Infantry, Co. F at Paola, Miami Co., Kansas as a Private. He was 46 years old. Solomon died of typhoid at Paola, Miami Co.,KS on December 13, 1862. Buried: Ottumwa, Coffey Co., Kansas. Husband of Margaret Shawbell, sister of John G. Shawbell.
Roots:Kansas Territory-Kansas, Coffey County
1855 ~ 1903
Our Ancestor's in the Civil War
Roots:Indian Territory - Oklahoma
Lewis Evans Shawbell
Shawbell House, Pauls Valley, Garvin Co., Oklahoma
Laura, Claude, Kate, Clem.
Nettie, Alice, Kathleen
Laura, Eva, Kathleen, Nettie
(Alice not pictured)
Lewis Evans Shawbell ~ Katherine Susan Seney
Pauls Valley, Garvin County, Oklahoma
Lewis Evans Shawbell came to Kansas from Pennsylvannia with his parents at age five, and he was ten years old when the Civil War broke out and his father left for the Civil War in the 9th KS Cavalry. Twenty-three years later he made the Land Run into Oklahoma Territory from Kansas. Lewis was a carpenter and wagon maker in Kansas. In 1877 he built and opened a carpentery and harness shop in Ottumwa,the same year the town baseball team was organised. His Uncle, William Minehouse, an experienced carpenter and builder was probably intrumental in teaching him the trade.In the late 1880's he was employed by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas RR as it built a Line through Burlington, KS. He met his future wife, Katherine while she was working on a cooking crew for the railroad, and they were married 22 Sept 1889. He was 38yrs old and Susan had just turned twenty on the sixteenth of the month. Shortly after marriage Lewis secured a Land Claim in the 1889 Oklahoma Land Rush. The first claim was traded for a second claim on which he built a home. In 1909 he traded this land for a 160 acre farm near Pauls Valley, OK.
Lewis Evans Shawbell : Oklahoma Land Rush
Certificate Number #2002 Application 2793 in 1896 for 160 acres Signed by President Grover Cleveland.
He built a home on his first claim, Claim One, but shortly after traded for a better claim (Claim Two) near 50th and May Streets in today's modern Oklahoma City,OK. He again built a home there himself and seven of eight of their children were born there. In 1909, Lewis traded the Claim for 160 acre farm near Pauls Valley, Garvin Co., OK. Katherine and her four daughter's took the train to their new home, while Lewis and his three sons transported the family belongings and stock by wagon. Their eighth, and last child, a daughter, was born in Pauls Valley, Garvin Co.OK Lewis and 'Kate' lived there the rest of their lives. Lewis E. and Katherine are buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery, Pauls Valley, Garvin Co., OK
Memoirs of Nettie Sarah Shawbell-Caldwell b. 14 March 1905 in Guthrie, Oklahoma Territory - 15 Dec 2001 in Tulsa,OK. Daughter of Lewis and Katherine Shawbell.
1900 US Census: Oklahoma Territory, Oklahoma Co., Council Grove Township. Enumer: 1-2 June 1900 by J.W.Markwell
Shawbell spelled as Shuabelle
Dwelling: 1 Family 11910 UKS Census: Oklahoma, Garvin County, Whitebead Township. Enumer: 20 April 1910 by R.F.Wright
- Lewis E. b. Mar. 1857 age 43 (changed: 1851 age 51 correct) b.PA Mb.PA Fb.PA. Married: 10 yrs. Farmer. Owns Farm free and clear. Reads/Writes
- Catherine b. Sept. 1869 MO age 30. Wife. Married: 10 yrs. Births: 5 Living: 5. Mb.IN Fb.IN Reads/Writes.
- John R. b. Dec. 1891 age 8 Son. b.OKTerr. At School 6yrs.
- Claude M. b. July 1893 age 6 Son. b.OKTerr. At School 6yrs.
- Clem L. b. May 1895 age 5 Son. b.OKTerr.
- Laura M. b.Feb 1897 age 3 Daugh. b.OKTerr.
- Eva A. b. Feb 1900 age 3months. Daugh. b.OKTerr.
Dwelling: 19 Family: 19
- Lewis E. age 59 b.PA Married: 20yrs. Farmer:General Farming. Reads/Writes. Owns Farm. Mb.PA Fb.PA
- Katherine S. age 40 b.MO Wife. Married: 20yrs. Births: 8 Surviving: 8. Keeps House. Reads/Writes. Mb.MO Fb.IN
- John R. age 18 b.OK. Son. Farm Labor. Reads/Writes
- Claud M. age 16 b.OK. Son. Farm Labor. Reads/Writes
- Louis C. age 14 b.OK. Son. Farm Labor. Reads/Writes
- Laura M. age 13 b.OK. Daugh. Reads/Writes
- Eva A. age 10 b.OK. Daugh. Reads/Writes
- Kathleen L. age 8 b.OK. Daugh.Reads/Writes
- Nettie S. age 5 b.OK. Daugh
- Alice M. age 2months. b.OK. Daugh
1913: Claude M. Shawbell, Sr. marries 20 Sep 1913 to Edna Maybel Covington on the Walter Beard Farm near Wynnewood, Garvin Co.,OK. Since he was married he was not drafted into Armed Forces in WW1.
1915: Lewis Evans Shawbell dies of prostrate cancer in 1915 at age 64yrs.
Lewis Evans Shawbell (Shaubell) and Katherine Susan Seney-Shawbell Grave
Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Pauls Valley, Garvin Co., Oklalhoma
1916-1919: John Roy serves in US Army WWI
Trained at Fort Riley, Kansas
1916-1919: Clem Lewis serves in US Navy WWI
Served on the USS Montana
1920 US Census: Oklahoma, Garvin County, Whitebead Township. Enumer: 30 Jan 1920 by August Slyckee
Dwelling: 158 Family: 159*Pauls Valley Democrat (Pauls Valley, Okla.), Vol. 16, No. 43, Ed. 1 Thursday, January 1, 1920 Pauls Valley Man Shot In City
- Kate age 50 Widow / Head of Household.
- John age 28 Son. Farm Work
- Clem age 24 Son. Farm Work*
- Eva age 19 Daugh.
- Kathleen age 17 Daugh.
- Nettie age 14 Daugh.
- Alice age 9 Daugh.
C.L. Shaubell of Pauls Valley was shot and slightly wounded by "stick-up" men in Oklahoma City on Thursday night of last week. Mr. Shaubell was on his way to the Santa Fe depot to catch the night train for home when two men stepped out of an alley and demand him to "stick em up." He went for his gun and a bullet pierced his hand. The hold-up men fled. Mr. Shaubell was taken to the University hospital where his wound was dressed and he came home to next day.
Lewis Evans SHAWBELL b. 17 Mar 1851 Walker Twnshp. Juniata Co. PA d. 29 May 1915 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Co., OK. m. Katherine Susan SENEY. b. 16 Sep 1869 Macon, Macon Co.,MO d. 17 Dec 1927 Pauls Valley, Garvin Co. OK. Married: 22 Sept 1889, Ottumwa, Coffey Co.,KS. Lewis Evans was a Carpenter and Farmer. Katherine was a Housewife.
Children of Lewis Evans Shawbell and Katherine Susan Seney:
- John Roy b.1891 Guthrie,Logan Co.OK d. 21 Jul 1972 Fullerton, OrangeCo.,CA m. Ada Mae KRAHL b.1891 IA d.1963 Tulsa, Tulsa Co.,OK John served in the US Army WW1.
Children:Ada's Parents: Wilber D. Krahl b.1857 OH and Ella (MaidenNUKN)b.1863 IA.
- Catherine Louise b.Aug 1928 d.May 2000 m. Jack E. Trail b.16 Feb 1926 d.? [ Daug. : Kay Trail Murray ]
- Wilbur Lewis b.Apr 1926 Living
- Cecil LeRoy b.Jan 1930 d.Oct 2006 (Twin)
- Charles Taylor b.Jan 1930 d.Jul 1940 (Twin)
Ada's Paternal Grandparents: George H. Krahl b.1830 OH and Philenea (MaidenNUKN)b.1830 OH.
- *Claude Marion,Sr.b.5 Jul 1894 Guthrie,Logan Co.OK d. 29 Jan 1930 Ada, OK, m. Edna Maybel COVINGTON
- Clem Lewis b.20 May 1895 Guthrie,Logan Co.OK d. Jun 1971 Fulerton,CA m. Arminta Joy JOHNSON b.Sept 1904 d.Aug 1988. (Archive: 1933 OK to CA Trip Diary)
Clem served in the US Navy in WW1 on the USS Montana.
Children:Joy's Parents: Richard Mentor Johnson b.1858 OH and Clara Rebecca Basinger b1873 MO.
Joy's Paternal Grandparents: William M. Johnson b.1833 PA and Susan Hamlin b.1838 OH.
- Laura Maria b.28 Feb 1897 d. 21 Oct 1952 m. John WORLEY b.1887
John's Parents: John C. Worley b. 1850 AR and Francis (MaidenNUNK) b.1887 AR
John's Paternal Grandparents: Charles Worley b.1825 TN and Martha A. Cryner b.1829 TN.
John's Sister: Lena Worley - Gray, husband Alex Gray.
John C. widower after 1920, in 1930 Census he lived with Lena and Alex at Pauls Valley, OK.
- Eva Anna b.16 Feb 1900 d. Mar 1974 m. Harry Walter DELBRIDGE
Children: Sue Ann (adopted by Eva and Harry: She is the daughter of Eva's sister, Martha Alice Shawbell and Clyde Simmons)Harry's Parents: Harry C. Delbridge b.1873 and Clementine S. Shawbell b. 1862 KS.
Harry's Paternal Grandparents: John C. Delbridge b.1842 and Sarah C. Kirkpatrick b.1848.
- Kathleen Lulu b. 24 Sep 1902 d. 14 Jul 1978 m. Jesse Alva WILSON. b.19 June 1903 TX.
They owned Wilson's Sandwich Shop in L.A. during WWII.
Children: Linda AnnJesse Wilson's Parents: Monroe Wilson b.1874 TX and Clara (MaidenNUKN) b.1877 TX.
- Nettie Sarah b.14 Mar 1905 d.15 Dec 2001 m. Robert Wayne CALDWELL b.Feb 1899 d.Dec 1974
Children:Robert Wayne Sr.'s Parents: Willaim Julian Caldwell b. Dec 1862 TN and Kitty (MaidenNUKN) b. March 1868 KY.
- Robert Wayne Jr.
- Alice Martha b.8 Feb 1910 d. Sep 1975 m.1st.Clyde SIMMONS.m.2nd. Kenneth Lee FOLLICK.
Children with Clyde Simmons:No children with Kenneth Follick.
- Sue Ann
Kenneth Follick b. 24 Mar 1910 IN. d. 21 Dec 1968. Alice and Kenneth were in a fatal headon car accident in 1957 and Alice was killed. A few years later he married Joan Wickheister.
Kenneth's Parents: Charles H. Follick b.11 Jul 1888 IN d. 1944 and Bertha Jane McClellan b.12 Jun 1891 IN d. 1986.
Claude Marion SHAWBELL, Sr.. b. 5 Jul 1894 Guthrie, Logan Co.,OK d. 29 Jan 1930 Ada, Seminole Co.OK Edna Maybel COVINGTON b. 28 Mar 1894 Ardmore I.T d. 27 Nov 1986 Seminole,Seminole Co., OK Married: 20 Sep 1913 by Justice of Peace, Walter Beard on the Beard Farm, near Wynnewood (formerly Walner Township), Garvin Co., OK.
Claude and Edna: Early Days in Garvin County, OK
Claude Sr. was a Farmer, Oil Well Driller/Tool Dresser and a 32º Freemason. Edna was a Housewife/Practical Nurse.
- Lewis Thomas 'Blackie' b. 12 Jul 1915 Pauls Valley, Garvin Co.,OK d. 19 Jul 1985 Dallas, Dallas Co.,TX m. 1st: Jewel Frances BATES 2nd: Margarete VAUGHN 3rd: Juanita Sue WOODS
Children w/ Jewel Frances Bates:
- Vinita Louise b. 1933
Children w/ Margaret Vaughn:
- Ann Vaughn b.1940 d.1940
- Glynna Margaret b. 24 Aug 1942 d. 21 Aug 2012
- Claude Marion, Jr. 'Jack' b. 25 Jun 1918 d. 13 Mar 1989 m. Betty Alice BUMGARDNER
- Claude Marion, III b.1943
- Lewis Ray b.1944
- Nadine Edythe b. 9 Oct 1920 d.22 Dec. 2010 m. Claude EWERT
- John Stevens b.1947
- Elaine b.1951
- Claudia b. 1930 d. 1930 (Twin)
- Marion b. 1930 d. 1930 (Twin
After Lewis Evans died in 1915 Claude,Sr. and his brothers, Clem Lewis and John Roy continued to farm cotton on the family farm at Pauls Valley, Garvin Co.,OK. The farm eventually went bankrupt, and the boys sought other employment. Claude became a tool dresser and driller for the Kerr McGee Oil Co. He lost his life at age 36 when a oil well rig boiler exploded on 27 Jan 1930 near Konawa, OK. Like his Grandfather, John G. Shawbell, Claude was a member of the Masonic Order attaining the 33rd Degree. Edna was a member of the Masonic Order Eastern Star. Claude and Edna are buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery, Pauls Valley, Carter Co., OK
Obit: Claude Marion Shawbell, Sr. Claude and Edna Edna-Lewis-Claude Jr.-Nadine
Claude Marion 'Jack' Shawbell, Jr. ~ Betty Alice Bumgardner - Shawbell
Claude Marion, III ~ Lewis Ray
Claude Marion 'Jack' SHAWBELL, Jr. b. 25 Jun 1918 OK d. 13 Mar 1989 OK m. Betty Alice BUMGARDNER b. 4 Apr 1921 KS d. 13 Sep 1988 AZ. Married: 25 Jan 1942, Yuma, AZ. Divorced: 1950. Claude M. Jr. was a Salesman. Served in US Army. Betty was a Cosmetic's Sales Supervisor & Buyer
- Claude Marion, III b. 12 Feb 1943 m. Linda Marie ORYALL
- Lewis Ray b. 2 Sep 1944 m. 1st: Frances Helen PRITCHETT 2nd: Sioban GLEESON.
Claude Marion SHAWBELL, III b. 12 Feb 1943 TX (Living) m. Linda Marie ORYALL b. 15 Oct 1955 MS (Living) m. 14 Oct 1978 Williams, Arizona. Divorced: 1992.
- Marion Hollin b. 24 Jul 1979 AZ m 16 Aug 2003 to Erin Elaine WINN b.16 Nov 1980 Alberta, Canada
Parents: Eric Winn b.Liverpool, England and Donna O'Connor b. Montreal, Canada
- Jack Evans b. 18 June 2005 CA
- Eric Austin b. 24 Feb 2010 HI
- Jonathan Covington b. 3 Mar 1983 AZ m. June 28 2013 CA to Ashley Lee Kvarda b. 27 Feb 1986 CA
- Vanessa Chinle b. 4 Dec 1985 AZ m 2007 to Justin Gulley b. 1982 AZ
- Makailyn Lee b. 9 Dec 2009
Lewis Ray SHAWBELL b. 2 Sep 1944 (Living) m. 1st: Frances Helen PRITCHETT b. 19 Nov 1947 TX d. Jan 2004 CA m. 23 Jul 1966. m. 2nd: Sioban GLEESON b. Ireland
Children w/ Frances Helen Pritchett:
- William Ray b. 4 Feb 1967 OK m. Leah Ann BERGERON b. 1966 LA.
- Ariel Alexis b.1992 LA
- Connor Orion b.1994 LA
- Christopher Lewis b. 6 Oct 1969 GA
Children w/ Sioban Gleeson:
- Patrick Lewis b. 1985 CA
Back to Surname List